The Russian Federal Forensic Centre
created the lifetime
appearances of Vasily and Tatiana Pronchishchev
by the method of plastic reconstruction.
On the basis of the achieved results
and the subsequent investigations it was proved that
the burial place at the mouth of the Olenek River is
actually the burial place of Vasily and Tatiana Pronchishchev.
This conclusion is confirmed by the following facts:
- The burial place is paired, simultaneous.
- The discovered remains belong to the people of
the European race.
- The age of a man and a woman at the moment of death
corresponds to the age of Vasily and Tatian Pronchishchev.
- The spectrum analysis of the bones of the buried
people excludes the possibility of their birth or
long stay at this territory. Consequently the ruined
can not be the Russian manufacturers or kazaks, residing
in the Oleneksky camp.
- The items, extracted from the burial place (bronze
cross, worn next to skin and woman's shoes), are typical
for the European part of Russia of the first half
of the XIX century.
From the "Act of opening and the
of the burial place of Vasily V. Pronchishchev
and Tatiana V. Pronchishchev":
"The opening of the grave was carried
out in accordance with the accepted methods of excavations
of the burial places…
At the depth of 25 cm in the center
of the grave pit there was observed the conglomeration
of large stones, beneath which at the distance 8–10
cm from each other there were cleared out the upper
contours of the two coffins, which were closely adjacent
to each other and the two prognathous jaw-bones. Two
skeletons (#1 and #2) were cleared inside the coffins.
The two skeletons were oriented along the line east
west with the heads to the west. The bone remains are
The skeleton #1 belongs to a man of
a young age (35±5), above middle height (167–171 cm),
related to the European race. Not long before his death
the man had a trauma of his left leg, accompanied by
a cross fracture. No signs of scurvy disease were found
after examination of jaws and teeth.
The skeleton #2 belonged to the woman
of the age 25–30 years, below the average height (155–157
cm), relating to the European race. But at the same
time there were found the traces of the Mongolian race,
what, evidently, testifies to her mixed origin. The
state of her teeth indicates the presence of carious.
There was carried out the visual and x-ray examination
of the skeleton, which did not show any evident traces
of disease, which could have caused the death. The bronze
cross was found in the area of the cervical vertebra.
High-heeled woman's leather shoes were found near the
lower part of the legs. The indicated finds correspond
to the supposed age of the burial – XVIII century.
The investigation of the remains,
discovered in the burial place, with regard to the historical,
archaeological and medical-anthropological data, gives
the reason to conclude that they belong to Vasily V.
Pronchishchev, the year of birth – 1702, the year of
death – 1736 (the skeleton #1) and to Tatina V. Pronchishchev
(maiden name – Kondyreva), the year of birth – 1710,
the year of death – 1736 (the skeleton #2).
Scientists determined that the
reason of the death of Vasily Pronchishchev was the
adipose embolism, starting after the open fracture of
a shin-bone, which evidently occurred in two weeks before
The reasons of the death of Tatiana
Pronchishchev were not determined. The radiogram of
the head of T. Pronchishchev allows to suggest that
she had otitis, and as a result – pneumonia, which could
have been the course of her death.
The expedition discovered the remains
of the Russian settlement in one kilometre to the north
of the grave. This is the only one known Russian trade
settlement of XVII–XVIII centuries in the polar part
of Siberia. This settlement has connection with the
names of the first Russian pioneer explorers Semyen
Dezhnev and Ivan Rebrov.
This settlement is constantly mentioned
in the references between 1735 and 1822. In the last
case it is mentioned as a deserted settlement with some
destroyed houses. This allows to suggest that this settlement
existed in XVIII, but obviously it could be dated back
to XVII. Excavations of one of the buildings confirmed
this suggestion. The items, found at this place, can
be dated to XVII–XVIII, among them: a massive iron arrow-head,
two knives, seizures of original shape, fishing floats
from the birch bark, glass bead and a piece of fabric.